Addressing frigid temperatures and bitter storms should take center stage on your building's to-do list, especially without proper winterization techniques in place.
Securing sufficient caulking and weatherproofing is one of the most crucial practices for routine maintenance. Caulking repairs gaps in between windows, doors, foundations, piping, and other areas where air or moisture might leak and threaten your interior.
Many property owners and managers put off maintenance projects until warmer weather arrives, but subjecting weak spots to harsher oncoming conditions will only expand the work and funding needed.
Making sure your building is properly sealed will offer irreplaceable benefits for your entire establishment:
- Prevent cold, moisture, and other elements from damaging your investment
- Save on heat and monthly utility costs with improved energy efficiency
- Maintain the life of your materials and provide a safe, reliable environment for guests
- Avoid emergency situations that create expensive repairs
- Build trusting relationships with clients and tenants on-site
- Cultivate aesthetic appeal inside and out throughout the seasons
Be sure to investigate your building often for potential cracks, holes, and drafts that will need sealed off. A simple trick is to watch for a flickering candle flame to help identify air leaks. In addition to caulking, weatherstripping can be used as necessary for further insulation.
When winter's heavy snows, frozen ice dams, and freeze-thaw cycle arrive in full swing, your roof and other materials will be subject to the extra pressure they bring. Prepare your property with the protection it needs throughout the seasons by securing routine inspections and improvements before it's too late.